Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reading Reaction #3


Rhetorical Analysis - Chapter 6
This chapter was a bit challenging for me. It contained a lot of new information, and some of it was hard to understand. However, I also found the chapter interesting, especially the part about the examining arguments based on emotion. It made me question how many ads I see everyday and what impact they have on me. Even if I know that it’s “just” an ad I still believe it has an impact on how I view things.

What made me confused was that I don’t understand how I should figure out what “style” the writer is using. “Readers naturally judge the credibility of arguments in part by how stylishly the case is made–even when they don’t know exactly what style is (p. 105).” That’s how I’m feeling. I can judge a writers work, but how would I know if those judgments are right?

I was very confused while reading this chapter and for some reason I just couldn’t understand it until I got to the guide page. Everything started to get more understandable when I read the guide to write a rhetorical analysis, but I’m still confused…

Finding Evidence - Chapter 17
This chapter provides a lot of good information. The information was pretty basic and easy to understand. I have always used the “regular” Internet to search for everything, but since I started at SBCC I have used the library database and catalog for my research papers. During my years at CC I learned how to navigate their database. In the beginning it was kind of hard and I wish I had access to this chapter earlier. However, I never learned about the LCSH, which would have been helpful and it would have saved me a lot of time.

Something I need to work on is to draw upon personal experience. Even if it’s not the best evidence to use, it something I need to be better at. I’m bad at using personal experience in situations when it could be good information/evidence to use.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angelica,

    I know how you feel about the first chapter it surely was a looot of information haha but we can expect that with more readings. I also believe that ads do make a big impact on people and most of them probably like you dont realize it. It's good that you're paying attention to this and that later on you can maybe even analyze what feelings you get after some certain ads, it would be an interisting thing.

    Just like you I also found the last chapter much easier to read and understand. I also had no idea about Google scholar before I attended sbcc and even though sometimes I feel it can be a bit confusing, it's still a great thing. I hope you will be able to develop a better use of personal experience, even though it's not always the best evidence I do believe that it is always very interesting to listen at people their own personal experiences and how they have dealt with it. It will probably be a matter of time for you to start doing it. But hey, you already took the first step and that is acknowledging the problem so now you can go ahead and work on it.

    Good luck!!

    Angelica

    ReplyDelete