Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Reading Reaction #1


Understanding Rhetoric
I really enjoyed reading the comic style. It felt very relaxed and was fun reading. I liked how they showed examples with both text and pictures. It brings up many different ways that we can use to communicate with each other, which I think is very interesting. “Rhetoric is a way of thinking about how we talk that takes into consideration the entire situation in which that talk take place.” I don’t think I have thought about it that way before, when I hear the word rhetoric I immediately start thinking about ethos, pathos, and logos. When I think about those words I start thinking about public speaking, I have never thought about that we’re using it both when we speak and write. 

Everything is an argument
I never thought there was so many different ways to make arguments. When I think about the term argument I think that I’m going to try to convince someone. After reading this text I have realized that I can use argument to persuade, to inform, to explore, to make decisions, and to meditate or pray. I also realized that we use ethos, logos, and pathos when we make different kind of arguments. “Thinking rhetorically means keeping all these elements (Writers speakers, text message, context media, and readers, viewers, and listeners) in mind, and doing so might even lead you to challenge the title of this text: is everything an argument?” As mention earlier I symbolize the term argument with convincing someone. After reading the text I’m not sure that everything is an argument, but I’m sure that we don’t only use arguments to convince people.

No comments:

Post a Comment