Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Reading Reaction #2


Understanding Rhetoric Issue 3
“Writing means always changing–changing to meet the needs of different audiences (p. 117)”
Unfortunately I haven’t explored my writing much, most of the writing that I do is in school or sending text messages. I definitively use different styles depending on who I text, I most certain don’t use the same langue or style when I write to my mom and dad as I use when I text my friends. It also made me realize that I don’t use exactly the same style when I text my American friends compared to Swedish.

What I found interesting is that you can change your identity without changing your personality. I would say that I do it all the time. I write in more styles than I thought and I definitively dress in a lot of different styles. For example, I don’t wear the same cloths to the gym as I would wear to a job interview.


Crafting Brief Messages - Chapter 7
I’m a marketing major so I found chapter 7 to be very interesting and providing. I liked how they went over all the electronic medias benefits and disadvantage. The checklist boxes was good and made it simple to understand.

What I found to be the most interesting is that e-mail is being replaced with new electronic media tools that provides better support. I have heard it before but haven’t really understood how many different ways you can communicate as a business today. I also didn’t know that companies are using instant messaging to communicate within the company. 

I learned a lot for this chapter, and looking forward to apply the information and be able to create effective messages.


Writing Routine and Positive Messages - Chapter 8
Chapter 8 covered the three-steps writing process of routine and positive messages. I’m not use to write professionally and when I send e-mails I have a tendency rush through it. This chapter helped me to realize how important it’s to write professional, establish my credibility, and analyze the audience.

The readings for this week really covered the importance of keeping a professional tone. It doesn’t matter what kind of media your using, it’s important to address the audience with the right performance.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that it was really interesting how you brought up that you can change your writing identity without changing your personality. I think this is something that is difficult to grasp because writing can be so personal so it can feel uncomfortable to write in a way that you aren't always used to. I liked how you also brought up how important it is to write professional emails and establish that credibility and analyze just exactly what you're saying and who you are saying it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cramer,

    Cold weather is tough. I grew up with it too (in Philly) but I never got used to it.

    The “I never thought of that” comments you made are great—that’s what we shooting for in this course. To become better academic writers, we need to become better academic thinkers. In my experiences, some students don’t appreciate this as much as I’d like them to, but I think a good “Academic Writing” course in college is designed for the long haul—it’s there to implant some deep, lasting ways of approaching writing and thinking through the wide variety of messages we’ll read and write throughout our lives.

    Your blog is right where I want it to be—keep doing what you’re doing; it’s working. Also, don’t forget to post your professional email request draft too when you can.

    Z

    ReplyDelete