Monday, August 17, 2015

Reading Reaction #6


Everything’s an Argument - Chapter 20
Plagiarism and Academic Integrity
There wasn’t really any new information in this chapter, but it’s always good to get a reminder of some of the rules. However, one thing that I have never done before is sending a letter request to get permission to use copyrighted internet sources, so I guess that part was kind of new to me. If I ever have to send a request, the email examples in the chapter will be helpful.

The chapter reminded me of how important it’s to cite your sources right to not get accused for plagiarism. I’m always afraid that I will forget to cite a source, or do it wrong. Something I need to work on, so I don’t get accused for plagiarism, is to not use a paraphrase that’s too similar to the original sentence. I need to be better at creating my own sentences and use my own words. The two lists of materials that need to be cited and the materials that don’t need to be cited were helpful. Sometimes I’m not completely sure if I have done the citing right or not, so the two lists will hopefully help me figure that out.


Annoying Ways People Use Sources
This reading was VERY helpful and interesting! Most of the material was basic information, but there was a lot that I had forgot about. I liked how Stedman used driving as a metaphor for writing. I hate slow drivers, so I kind of recognized myself in the introduction. Now I understand how professors feel when students write sloppy, and how annoying that most be.  

I really liked how Stedman showed examples, pointed out the problems, and then explained how to fix it. Even if the chapter contained a lot of information it was easy to read and understand. Now I only need to try use these tips for my own writing. The chapter taught me how important it’s to guide your reader. Without guiding the reader thought the quotation the reader will be lost and have a hard time understand what I try to tell or explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment