Monday, August 10, 2015

Reading Reaction #5


Everything’s an Argument - Chapter 16
Academic Arguments
This chapter contained a lot of helpful information, even if most of the information was basically things we should already know, it was good to get a reminder. There are so many things to consider when writing academic arguments. I liked how the chapter first provided information and then gave an example. Something I found very helpful was the information about how to organize the paper, where to put the strongest evidence, and how to balance my own words and arguments with arguments from a source.

One thing I have never thought about is that even if the teachers decides the topic I can still make it match with my interests. I have always been writing what I think the teachers expect me write, instead of thinking outside the box and making the assignments more fun. Working with a topic that I find interesting is so much easier than something I don’t care about. 

One thing I need to work on is editing and proofread my text. I need to be better at reading through what I have been writing, and not just reading it, I need to look closer for mistakes and misspellings. I need to be better at not rushing through it; I need to take the time it requires. 

The first academic argument sample “A Directive Approach toward ESL/EFL Writer” by Brian Raidy, was very good. I liked how they point out his thesis statement, his evidence, and his arguments next to the paragraphs.

Understanding Rhetoric - Issue 4
Arguable Assertions
Most things in this chapter made a lot of sense. I have always used both sides of an issue when presenting my arguments. Because you bring up both sides of an issue doesn’t mean that you necessary have to agree with both sides. Just like they say in the chapter it’s not always about what’s right and wrong.

In the end they talk about that a paragraph is like a sandwich, and that you need the different components to make the paragraph whole. Your arguments need certain parts to work, and without all the components there is no paragraph.

Shitty First Draft
Writing… where should I start? Writing makes me terrified sometimes, depending on the assignment. Reading this chapter made me realize that I need to stop trying to write a “perfect” first draft. I can sit down trying to write a first draft for days… just because I try to get it perfect the first time. With that said, I have always had a problem writing a first “shitty draft.” Since I need it to be perfect from the beginning, which I know is impossible. Even if I know it’s impossible I find it hard to just start typing. I get anxious before I start writing, but in the middle of the writing process I think its fun. I like writing, especially about things that I find important and interesting.

“The only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts”(Lamott p. 1). This is a quote I’m going to try to keep in mind whenever I try to start writing something. No one has to see my first draft, and then I can turn in a better second draft. Hopefully it will make me less anxious about writing. 

They Say, I Say - Chapter 7
So what? Who cares? Saying why it matters?
This chapter was very interesting. It gave me a lot of new information that I will have to work on. I know that you should always ask the questions so what? and how cares? I just didn’t know how to do it or how to get the right answer. I feel like teachers have always said that we need to answer those two questions, but never told us how to do it.

“The templates not only demonstrate that other care about you claim but also tell you readers why they should care” (p. 99). I wish I had learned about these templates before, it would have made a different in my writing process. The templates were easy to understand and hopefully they are as easy to use.

1 comment:

  1. I used to get anxious writing first drafts too. But youre right, nobody has to see the first draft...it can be just for you as the writer to get content down on paper. I also like knowing that even the best of writers face feelings of doubt as they begin the process. The start of a paper always seems so vast and confusing. I like the quote you are choosing to remember in regards to a first draft!
    I also really like that you are taking personal note to think "Outside" the box. Whatever knowledge and interest you have thus far in life can surely be of use in your writings. I dont think keeping your creative self constricted will bring about your best writing... so two thumbs up for stepping out the box!

    ReplyDelete